The European Feature Film Competition is being held for the ninth time, and since 2019 only debut films by young directors have been competing for the prize for best director, which is awarded by an international jury and comes with 5,000 euros in prize money.
This year, for the first time, the Filmfestival Münster will also be showing a best of of the Africa Film Festival Cologne in cooperation with Die Linse e.V.. The opening film of the Filmfestival Münster, which is also the first entry in the European Feature Film Competition, links these two program series as well as the continents: In “Borga,” York-Fabian Raabe’s directorial debut, Kojo, a young Ghanaian, leaves his family behind in Accra to become a so-called Borga in Germany – someone who has made it to enormous wealth abroad and impresses those back home.
But the protagonists of the other competition entries also take on long journeys, both geographically and emotionally. The films tell of a world in upheaval, of cracks that run through biographies and societies, and of the strength and determination with which the characters fight back.
- BorgaGermany 2021 – Director: York-Fabian Raabe – Screenplay: York-Fabian Raabe & Toks Körner – Cinematography: Tobias von dem Borne – Music: Tomer Moked & Ben Lukas Boysen – With Eugene Boateng, Christiane Paul, Lydia Forson, Adjetey Anang u.a. – 104 min
- WindstillGermany 2020 – Director & Screenplay: Nancy Camaldo – Cinematography: Lukas Nicolaus – Music: Michael Lauterbach – With Giulia Goldammer, Thomas Schubert, Barbara Krzoska, Anselm Bresgott u.a. – 100 min
- Should the Wind Drop | Si le vent tombeFrance, Armenia, Belgium 2020 – Director: Nora Martirosyan – Screenplay: Nora Martirosyan & Emmanuelle Pagano – Cinematography: Simon Roca – Music: Pierre-Yves Cruaud – Mit Grégoire Colin, Hayk Bakhryan, Arman Navasardyan, David Hakobyan and more – OmeU – 100 minutes
- Mi iubita, mon amourFrance 2021 – Director: Noémie Merlant – Screenplay: Gimi-Nicolae Covaci & Noémie Merlant – Cinematography: Evgenia Alexandrova – Music: Saycet – Starring Noémie Merlant, Gimi-Nicolae Covaci, Sanda Codreanu, Clara Lama-Schmit, Alexia Lefaix and more – OmeU – 95 minutes
- Here BeforeUnited Kingdom 2021 – Director & Screenplay: Stacey Gregg – Cinematography: Chloë Thomson – Music: Adam Janota Bzowski – Starring Andrea Riseborough, Martin McCann, Jonjo O’Neill, Niamh Dornan, Eileen O‘Higgins and more – OmeU – 83 minutes
- SlalomFrance 2020 – Director: Charlène Favier – Screenplay: Charlène Favier & Marie Talon – Cinematography: Yann Maritaud – Music: LoW Entertainment – Starring Noée Abita, Jérémie Renier, Marie Denarnaud, Muriel Combeau and more – OmeU – 92 minutes
- Dune DreamsFrance, Belgium 2021 – Director & Screenplay: Samuel Doux – Cinematography: Jean-Louis Vialard – Music: Mathieu Baillot – Starring Benoît Magimel, Igor van Dessel, Agata Buzek, Johannes Kuhnke, Mercedes Cabral – OmeU – 95 minutes
- The FeastUnited Kingdom 2021 – Director: Lee Haven Jones – Screenplay: Roger Williams – Cinematography: Bjørn Ståle Bratberg – Music: Samuel Sim – Starring Annes Elwy, Nia Roberts, Julian Lewis Jones, Steffan Cennydd, Caroline Berry – OmeU – 93 minutes